36776
Accession Number
7160
Title Of Article Chaper
Zur Restaurierungsgeschichte des Stiftes Melk
Title Of Journal Book
Oest. Zscft. F. Kunst u. Denkmalplege
Pages
76-86
Literature Level
Analytic
Abstract
A few years after the completion of the Melk monastery, considerable restorations had to be undertaken. The Baroque style required new buildings and additions. This article discusses the changes of the original Dietmayr building which was started in 1701 and was finished in 1736. The painter specializing in frescos, Franz Rosenstingl, was commissioned for paintings of the monastery. The restoration of the 18th century involved two phases: one following the devastating fire of 1738 and the other the renovation in the second half of the 18th century. Only the southern wing and parts of the convent on the north side were unharmed. Berthold Dietmayr made changes to enhance the structure. This was followed by reconstruction of the roofs. The inside of the dome was restored between 1742/43 by Franz Joseph Lessner who painted over the blackened frescos. The reconstruction of the south tower was completed in 1742. Restorations in the 2nd half of the 18th century were due to the influence of the climate and the haste in which reconstructions after the great fire were done. These were followed by reconstructions of the roofs and the enhancing of the facade west of the church as well as of floors and the inside. Restorations were made in the sacristy, the emperor's apartment, the apartments of the abbot and guest rooms. Furthermore, the library underwent transformations, i.e., change of the doors, and new frescos by Johann Bergl. Structural changes included the Winter Choir Room, stairway to the library and a natural history collection. Several changes, such as, a reactivation of an old well which was decorated with a statue of St. Koloman as well as piercing of a wall to create a passage for the monks, did not survive. New additions for the church were gifts by all strata of society. In 1779 the papal blazon was added over the main porch of the church. This beautiful ensemble created unending hardships for preservation. In 1976 the studios of the office for the preservation for monuments began the study of the problems of restoration.
Keywords
stift;monastery;restoration;reconstruction;austria
pub_id
36776