22268
Accession Number
9493
Title Of Article Chaper
The eariy history of iron and steel making at Brymbo
Title Of Journal Book
Steel Times
Volume
208
Issue
6
Pages
36-40
Literature Type
Serial
Literature Level
Analytic
Abstract
The original Brymbo site was bought in 1792 by John Wilkinson, whose father had operated a blast-furnace in nearby Bersham since 1753. This was shut down in 1795, following plans to build foundries and two blast-furnaces at Brymbo; the first of these furnaces, known as Old Number One, continued in service until 1894 and is probably the unit still existing near the present blast-furnace. An iron output of 884 tons is reported for 1796. The works were sold by the Wilkinson family in 1840, and subsequent ownerships and developments are traced through the 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 war and post-war periods up to the present-day status of the works as part of the GKN (Guest Keen Nettlefold) combine. -- AATA
pub_id
22268